Thursday, October 09, 2003

Tseduka - My New Year's Resolution

New year's resolutions are more of a secular thing than a Jewish thing.

Halacha is such that resolving to do something (before witnesses) makes that something legally binding. So by not doing it (as tends to happen with new year's resolutions), you have an unfulfilled oath which needs to be dealt with. Instead, I propose a theme for the new year... something that I want to think about, do, and do well.

Last year the theme seemed to be tefilah (prayer). Not that it was fully planed, it just seemed to work out that way. This year it's tseduka (charity). (Maybe next year it will be teshuva - acts of loving kindness, to round out the "B'Rosh Ha'Shana" prayer.)

Not only do I want to try to give more charity (both money and my time), but I want to give it better.

By better I don't mean picking better charities to donate to. I want to try to make my charity to impact peoples lives.

One example... I never used to give change to the "beggars" down town. A few years ago I changed that practice and now I give whenever I have what to give. However, I have often caught myself dropping money in their cup/hat/bin and walking by without even looking at them. They deserve better than a few coins, they deserve the same respect I would afford to everyone else. This year when I drop the change in the bin I want to look at them, smile, say hello, talk to them... As human beings they deserve at least that much.

A few months ago I had the opportunity to perform one of the best forms of charity and passed it up - I don't want to pass it up if I get the chance again. I was walking downtown (on my way to watch a Blue Jays game) and someone asked for some change, I happily gave them some. They then asked if I wanted to buy some of their art ($5 for a picture) and I turned them down. Charity through handouts is one thing, but charity through business dealings is another. By giving her some coins she is dependent on me, by buying her art she would have felt like she earned the $5 money. The self respect that would have come along with that transaction would have meant more to her then the $0.75 I gave her.

Another time I'll tell you about my first charitable donation of the year - and why it means much more than that.

The year 5764 will be the year of tseduka.

No comments: