Thursday, October 16, 2003

Explanation of the Bris Milah

As I mentioned a few days ago, and friend of our gave birth to their second boy, and the Bris was this morning. Which meant I needed to find a minyon that finishes earlier than mine.

I found an Orthodox Shul, 5 minutes from where the Bris was being held (my usual Shul is traditional Conservative) with a 6:10 service - plenty of time to make a 7:45 Bris. What I didn't consider, was that this early minyon was for "power daveners" - it only took 50 minutes for the entire Sukkot service (my Shul takes 1:15). So I had a bit of a tough time keeping up with them, but managed to do a fair job. Only problem was that I was just reading, not really praying. I don't know how you can concentrate on the prayers at that speed - but maybe when you can say the words automatically, you can let your mouth do that while your heart and mind and thinking about the prayers. G-d willing, I'll be able to answer that question some day.

I have davened at "foreign" Shuls a few times, and as usually, I found the "regulars" very welcoming. May of them greeted me and asked my name, where I'm from, why I was there. I did feel a little uncomfortable because I didn't have an Lulav and Etrog (I usually use one of the ones my Shul provides), but I got over that. All in all it was a very nice service, but I'd want to do one that goes a little slower next time.

Now on to the Bris. The Moel started by saying that the Bris is a very strange Mitzvoh. Why would such a gentle people be commanded by G-d to do an act that involves inflicting pain. He explained with a story about King David. It goes something like this.

King David was preparing to enter the Mikvah, of course this requires you to be naked. So as he takes off his tzitzis, his tefilin, his kippah - which are all physical signs of our relationship with G-d. - he became very depressed, since he felt he was loosing his connection with G-d. But then he looked down and saw his circumcision, the one physical sign of our relationship with G-d that is always with us, and he became overwhelmed with joy.

I thought that was quite a beautiful explanation.

The Bris went off perfectly (the Moel commented on what a beautiful penis it was) and bagels with egg were had by all.

My wife and I bought a Mezuzah necklace as a gift for the baby. G-d willing, once Jacob is a little older, he will wear the Mezuzah proudly and it will server as another physical reminder of his relationship with G-d.

A blessing to Jacob for a speedy recovery, and one to his parents - May Jacob forever be a blessing in your lives. May you be blessed with the strength and wisdom to raise him in the ways of Torah, and may you be privileged to see him become Bar Mitzvah and accompany him to the wedding canopy.

No comments: