Thursday, November 06, 2003

Jewish Education – Story Number 2

I recently saw an interview with the Principal of one of the largest Jewish day schools in America. He was asked what the greatest challenge was that the Jewish school system faces today. This was his reply:

“Parents spend thousands of dollars a year in tuition to send their children to our school where, along with calculus and chemistry, we are expected to teach some semblance of ethics. Then, on Sunday, the parents take their child to an amusement park and lie about his age in order to save five dollars on the admission fee. To save five bucks they destroy a $15,000 education.”

This answer really had an effect on me. G-d willing, I’ll have the opportunity to raise (many) Jewish children. I intend to raise them in a manner consistent with the teachings of Torah. If I’m going to do that, I need to live in a manner consistent with Torah.

We’re always taught that lying is wrong, yet we see our parents do it all the time; lying about children’s age to save money; lying at customs about the value of good you bring into the country to save some duty feel… Telling the truth is easy when it doesn’t hurt you, but when there is a cost associated with it (especially a monetary one) it is not as easy. I’m trying especially hard to be truthful in those situations. Hopefully by the time I have children to raise (in the, G-d willing, not to distant future) the way I lead my day to day life will be consistent with the way I’d like to teach my children to live theirs.

If we’d all make that same commitment, the next generation will be a great one to be part of.

No comments: