Monday, November 17, 2003

The Akedah

Last weeks Torah portion ended with the story of the Akedah – the binding of Isaac. This is one of the most famous stories of the Torah, and one which is often misunderstood.

Rabbi Motty Berger tells a story of a conversation he had with a man a few years ago. The man told the “Rabbi that he doesn’t understand how he expects to be able to “sell” this religion. Your religion tells the story of Abraham, the founder of your religion, who was told by G-d to kill his son, and you take it as an example of what a great man he was that he was willing to do it. You expect to be able to sell a religion like that?”

The Rabbi replies, “OK, so you think Abraham was wrong. So tell me, what would you kill your son for? Picture this, let’s say you’re a good father, and you have a son just turning 18. He comes to you and says ‘Dad, I really respect you, and I need to make some decisions on how to live my life. So tell me, what’s it worth dieing for? And I want you to know, that what ever you tell me, that’s how I’ll live my life.’” The Rabbi continues, “You don’t like Abrahams choice, so what’s yours.”

The man knew he was trapped, whatever he says, the Rabbi would counter, you made your choice, and Abraham made his, what’s the difference? So the man replies “I’d tell my son it’s not worth dieing for anything, you just stay alive.”

The Rabbi answers, “What happens if your son says, ‘Dad, I don’t understand, if there is nothing in this world worth dieing for, that what did you bring me into this world to die for? When you chose to have me, you didn’t know anything about what my life would be like. You didn’t know if I’d be rich or poor, happy or miserable, full of joy or suffering. The only thing you knew when you brought me into this world is that one day I would die. I thought that meant that there was something you can get out of life that’s worth dieing for.’ What Abraham taught Isaac was that there one this in this world worth dieing for – your connection with G-d. Don’t sell you life (or your children’s life) short.”

Once that lesson was made clear to Abraham and Isaac, G-d tells Abraham not to kill Isaac, but instead raise him with that understanding.

This was Abraham’s basic philosophy – “I choose to live, and if necessary to die, for the reality of one G-d”.

Let’s all let this story put our lives in perspective and help us make more informed decisions.

No comments: