Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I'm Back!

After a brief hiatus (ok, just under 3 years is hardly brief, but I did move twice, have a second son, and become Vice President of my Shul) I’m back.

I’ve decided to start a regular learning program. You may be familiar with “Daf Yomi”, a program started almost a hundred years ago where Jews all over the world undertake to study a page of Talmud per day, completing the entire Talmud in about 7 and a half years.

Well, I’m not quite ready for that, but the Conservative movement has a related program that I am undertaking (with my wife). While the Talmud is the gold standard for learning Jewish Law, the focus on Talmud has lead to poor knowledge of an even more basic text – the Torah (all 24 books of the Bible).

The USCJ has a program called “Perek Yomi” in which you read a chapter of the Torah each day, starting with the book of Joshua, continuing all the way through to Chronicles, then cycling back to the 5 books of Moses, ending with chapter 34 of Deuteronomy some two and a half years later.

I will use this blog to record my thoughts on each chapter (using the study questions provided by USCJ). I will also highlight a favourite quite from each chapter, in the hope of building up a repertoire of useful biblical quotes. Of course, I’ll also use the blog to record any other interesting learning I do.

The comment facility should be working, so feel free to discuss, or just let me know your reading.

Wish me luck, maybe after this cycle, I’ll be ready for Daf Yomi.

No comments: