Sunday, August 01, 2004

Welcome Jonah Aaron

Early this morning, Mandy and I welcomed our first child, Jonah Aaron into the world. This was, without doubt, the most moving religious experience of my life.

You’ve seen it on TV hundreds of times (or thousands if you, like Mandy, are addicted to Life Network and TLC), but when I heard Jonah’s cry and the doctor announced “it’s a boy”, my eyes filled with tears, and a feeling came over me that I’ve never felt before and that can not be described in words. It was as if G-d himself was standing beside me and giving me the greatest gift imaginable.

Once the nurses cleaned him off and I was able to get close to him, I bent over, and whispered in his ear the Shema. Amid all the confusion he must have been experiencing at that moment, I wanted him to start his life by hearing the words that have sustained the Jewish people for thousands of years. It’s a good thing I was whispering, because anything louder would have come out as a cry.

The nurse then put Jonah beside Mandy (it was a c-section, so Mandy didn’t get to hold him) and the look and Mandy’s face told me she was experiencing the same feelings as I was.

I then got to carry Jonah to the nursery, and on the way a tear filled father introduced Jonah Aaron to the anxious grand parents, uncles and aunts.

This was an experience I’ll never forget, and one that, G-d willing, I’ll get to experience many more times.

May the almighty grant Jonah a long life willed with joy, happiness and thr service of G-d.

No comments: