Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Why do bad things happen to good people?

(This post is based on an article by Rabbi Benjamin Belch)

This is really the ultimate theological question. It’s one that has troubled all the great Jewish thinkers, including the greatest of all, Moses. In this week’s Torah Portion, Moses asks this question to The One Who Knows The Answer.

At first glance the passage appears cryptic, but even if you don’t understand it, it one of those passages that you know is meaningful.

Here’s the text:

    Moses then said [to G-d]: "Please grant me a vision of Your Glory." He [G-d] said, "I will cause all My goodness to pass before you and will proclaim the name of the Lord in your presence. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will be compassionate to whom I will be compassionate." And He said, "You cannot see My Presence and live." And the Lord said, "Behold there is a place alongside Me, and you shall set yourself on the rock. When My Glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with My Hand until I pass by. Then I will remove My Hand and you will see My Back, but My Face shall not be seen." (Exodus 33: 18-23)


The impression this gives on the surface is that Moses is asking to see G-d’s face, G-d refuses, but lets Moses sneak a peak at his mighty shoulder blades.

This is, of course, absurd.

Moses knew that G-d has no form and therefore can not be seem by human eyes. The Talmud tells us that Moses was not asking to “see” G-d, but to “see” G-d’s “glory”, so that he can understand G-d’s plan. Basically, Moses wanted to know why good things happen to bad people.

To attempt to understand the profound wisdom in G-d’s response, we need to look at it piece by piece.

    "I will cause all My goodness to pass before you and you will proclaim the name of the Lord in your presence."


It doesn’t come across well in English, but in the Hebrew, it’s important to note that, of the many names of G-d, the one that is used here is the ones that represent kindness and compassion. We are told that ALL of G-d’s goodness will be testimony to the merciful qualities of the Almighty. What this is saying is that our perception of pain and suffering will change once we have seen it “all”. Once we can see it all (which we can not do from our perspective in this world), we will see why every strict judgment is really an act of love. It’s like a parent punishing a child. The child sees his suffering, but later looks back on it and sees it was all necessary acts of love.

    "I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will be compassionate to whom I will be compassionate."


This is not G-d saying “Leave me alone, I’ll do whatever I want.” What G-d is saying is that “I will be gracious to the one I will be gracious to, not the one you think I should be gracious to.” Maimonides explains that G-d judges a person’s deeds qualitatively, not quantitatively. One terrible deed can wipe out a lifetime of good deeds, and one great act can balance many sins. Only G-d knows the real values of our actions. What G-d is telling Moses (and us) is the he knows who is really righteous, who is really deserving of grace and compassion. Don’t presume to improve on his judgement.

    "And He [God] said, 'You cannot see My Presence and live.'"


Moses wants to “see” G-d’s way. But G-d is saying that “as long as you’re alive, you won’t be able to ‘see’”. The entire picture is not visible from our limited perspective.

    "And the Lord said, 'Behold there is a place alongside Me, and you shall set yourself on the rock."


Moses is told that to understand why there is evil in the world; you need to stand as a partner beside G-d, not as a passive observer down below. When G-d created the world, he purposely left it incomplete, so that man can play a part in perfecting the world. God allows for sickness so man can play a role in inventing cures.

In the words of Rabbi Belch, “God allows for droughts so that man can participate in bringing the world closer to its ideal state by inventing new irrigation methods and by building dams and desalinization plants. So the evil in the world only points up the work we still have to do. Evil is a manifestation of a world that is still incomplete, waiting for man to do his part and finish the job.”

    "When My Glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with My Hand until I pass by. Then I will remove My Hand and you will see My Back, but My Face shall not be seen."


This is the key part of the answer. G-d is telling Moses that because man is bound by time (unlike G-d) we are unable to understand events as they happen, it’s only after the fact that it might be possible for us to understand what happened.

As Kierkegaard so powerfully put it, "Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward."

Rabbi Belch sums it up better than I possibly could, so I’ll leave him to do it:

    The Biblical exchange between God and Moses teaches us to beware of assumptions that are incomplete and erroneous, assumptions that lead us to question the goodness of God.
    Moses says to God, in effect, "God, I want to honor you totally, but my lack of understanding of Your ways interferes. How can I honor you completely when I see good people who have it bad and bad people who have it good?"
    God says, "Hold off, I question two of your premises."
    "Which premises?"
    "Number one, don't be so quick when you call some people good and others bad, because you don't know for sure. Number two, when you say they have it bad or they have it good, are you sure of your definitions? Are you sure you know what you are talking about? You are not positive. And you can't be positive because you can't see My face. You will only be able to see it in retrospect. In retrospect a terrible thing could be the best thing. Sometimes it will take you years to see. Sometimes you will never see, not in your days on Earth anyway."
    ….
    A wife says to me, "My husband got sick, he remained sick for the rest of his days, and then he died. Where is the good in that? Don't tell me to wait for the end of the story. I have seen the end of the story. He died."
    Yet God tells us, "Man cannot see Me and live." We don't have the entire picture even at the time of death. Death is the gateway to the great beyond -- and that very description reminds us that there is more after our earthly passage. What is still not clear during our finite existence, God seems to be saying, will be possible to comprehend once we are blessed with the divine perspective of eternity.

No comments: