Sunday, January 11, 2004

Going to Shul in Israel

Davening in Israel was a special experience. Most of the time I did it in the hotel room. Davening by the window looking out onto Israel was especially moving.

I went to Shul 3 times. We went to the Great Synagogue in Jerusalem for Kabalat Shabbat, then to the Conservative Synagogue in Jerusalem on Shabbat, then at the Hotel Shul in Eilat one day.

The Great Synagogue was magnificent. We only ay the last 20 minutes of the service, but it’s a beautiful building, with an outstanding Choir.

The Conservative movement in Israel is very small, so this was a very small Shul (maybe seats 150 people). The service was almost identical to what you would find here. The former Rabbi from Mandy’s family’s Shul was the Rabbi there until he retired a few months ago. I had just bought a new Tallit, so I got to wear it for the first time for Shabbat Service.

The Minion in the Hotel was Sephardi, Orthodox, and all Hebrew. It was a little hard to follow, but I managed. They needed me for the minion, so I was happy to go, even if I was a little confused.

No comments: