Monday, February 02, 2004

Not Yet

The story is told of Franz Rosenswag (who was voted the most influential Jewish philosopher of the first half of the 20th century). He was an assimilated Jew, who had a cousin who converted to Christianity. His cousin wanted Franz to convert also, after all Franz did not believe in Judaism, maybe he could believe in Christianity. Franz eventually agreed, but said he didn’t want to convert from pagan to Christian, he wanted to go from pagan, to Jew, to Christian – just like Jesus and the apostles did. So he decided he would first learn about Judaism, and then convert. So he started on that route, and never stopped learning.

In his old age, he was asked if he wore Teffilin? He did not, but his answer was interesting; he responded “Not yet”. He knew that Teffilin was one step on the ladder, and maybe one day he would get there. Even though he didn’t feel the need to keep that Mitzvah at that time, he knew that it was a possibility that he may in the future.

If people would have asked me if I was Shomer Shabbas, I would have answered “No”. The same answer would have been given for most other Mitzvot. But I think from now on I’m going to change my answer to “Not yet”. I know that I’ll never reach the point in my journey of keeping every Mitzvah, but there are none that I can say I would never do. But answering “Not yet” keeps me on my journey.

No comments: